The Orange Man Part 2

The Orange Man Part 2


I had been out of hospital a month when the Telegraph & Argos wanted to do a catch up story with me and Martin Copley. They met me at my house (which I missed) and took some photos. We were both embarrassed and glad when it was over but it was nice to see him again.

The following is the clip from the T&A the description of my injuries is wrong but hey ho I’m here anyway 🙂

‘He is my hero’, says young woman who cheated death thanks to former soldier

A woman who cheated death in an accident with a lorry has hailed as her hero a road worker whose military training saved her life.

Doctors told 33-year-old Suzie Unsworth she should have died from shock and blood loss at the scene in Manchester Road, Bradford, due to the severity of her injuries.

Her left leg was so badly crushed it later had to be amputated (Leg torn off at scene) and her right foot was so mangled that the bones were embedded in her other foot (I didn’t have another foot for my bones to me mangled into, silly).

By chance 45-year-old Martin Copley, who served as a soldier during the Northern Ireland troubles, was working on the construction of a bridge nearby when Miss Unsworth, who was cycling to work, ended up under the wheels of an articulated lorry in April this year.

She said: “I was lying there still with my rucksack on when I just saw this man in orange. He jumped over road barriers and dived across me. He told me not to touch my leg, my hand was right through it, there wasn’t anything there. He told me to hold on to him instead, to look at his face and scream as much as I wanted to.”

She added: “He is my hero. It was only luck that he was there at the time and had his military trauma training. Doctors told me I would have died then and there if it hadn’t been for him. I only had a ten per cent survival chance but he kept me focussed.

Only five weeks after the collision and being airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary, Miss Unsworth, dubbed a ‘miracle lass’ by surgeons, was out of hospital, amazing her medical team with her positive attitude and sheer determination to get on the mend.

“They told me at first to expect to be in hospital for at least six months but it was only five weeks. I got in a wheelchair, helped do things for other patients on the high dependency ward, made my own bed then got them to show me how to change my own dressings – so they had to let me out,” she said.

Twelve weeks on she has been fitted for a prosthetic leg and plans to be back at work with Bradford Council’s Patients Transport Service next month.

Of Mr Copley she said: “We managed to track Martin down and he came to see me in hospital. We just hugged and hugged and cried. He’s the loveliest man ever.”

The Telegraph & Argus has again reunited Mr Copley with Miss Unsworth at her home in Wyke.

Recalling the incident, he said: “I remember seeing traffic backed up on the day and something like a high-vis vest lying there.

“I just shot off up the road and saw Suzie. I’ve seen terrible bomb blast injuries and shrapnel wounds in Northern Ireland but nothing like that day. I will never know how she survived it. I’m full of admiration for her – she fought for her life and won.

“It’s her who’s a hero – not me.”

Two other women also stopped to help at the scene while Mr Copley’s workmates helped slow traffic until the emergency services arrived.

“I am meant to be here on earth. I feel very strongly there is a purpose for me still being here,” said Miss Unsworth, who has now challenged herself to climb Ben Nevis for charity.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments